Tuesday, March 5, 2013

It's Not Okay...

That I just woke up at 12:30 am and decided to have a bowl of cereal.

That my son tonight, with me in the very same room, decided to zip in the closet for a quick pee on the wood floor.

That my husband is in Connecticut just days before our delayed honeymoon to California, leaving me here to wake up at midnight with irrational fears like:

What if we don't have cash to pay a cab? Will my sister know to call us if something spills on the new couch? Are we going to lose something in one of the several hotels we're staying? Will I have room to read on the plane? Will my Kindle work on the plane? Will I have time to both catch a nap on the plane and finish a book before we land??? Will I???

That I'm just now doing laundry for the trip wherein I'm fearing losing something which hasn't even been packet yet.

That students begged, scoffed, and inched their way toward burning me at the stake for not providing them late work to do two days before I'm submitting quarter grades. Well, really it's just not okay that I didn't let myself laugh out loud at their request.... because, um, yeah, that's totally ridiculous!

That a bright orange sign on my front door welcomed me home yesterday and scrawled on it, by an apparently worried City Utilities representative, a need for me to schedule an appointment because, and I'm not making this up: "NEED ACTUAL READING ON ELECTRIC METER, PLEASE."  What was out there? Some of those symbols you find on a gambling machine? Cherry, cherry, grapes. Shoot. Try again!

That I'm writing a blog post at this time. And from what I've observed, with no useful, eloquent, or sound reason.

That I feel like a beached whale at t-minus one day of being 23 weeks pregnant.  Isn't that feeling reserved for the 9th month?  I feel like I need to call ahead to my stomach to make a reservation for the food I'm about to send down.  One banana headed your way. Make room!

That I am confused about feeling like a beached whale when I've just admitted quite publicly my questionable practice of eating cereal amid sleeping.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! You don't know me, but I found your blog because of a comment you made on Jennifer Fulwiler's blog. You mentioned there that you are a teacher, are pregnant with twins, with an older child too, and looking ahead at stay-at-home motherhood. The weird thing is...that is me too! For the last 7 years I've been a full-time grad student, teaching college courses off and on. I'm a faithful Catholic, married, I have a 3-year old daughter, and I am currently 31 weeks pregnant with twin boys. Surprise of a lifetime, right? I too am looking ahead at probably living a life that is much closer to stay-at-home mothering than before, although I still hope to get the chance to adjunct teach a bit here and there in the future. To be honest, all of the transition ahead is quite overwhelming for me (what I haven't mentioned is that my husband has taken a new job and we will be moving this summer on top of everything else). Anyway, I'm not really sure why I'm commenting other than to say that there's someone else out there going through similar things. It comforted me to know that you were out there, at least. I'll pray for you, and I would appreciate your prayers for me! -Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Karen! My goodness, we have so much in common! My heart lifted when I read your comment, just thinking of someone being in a similar position. I will definitely be praying for you as you transition through so much! 31 weeks--you're close! My hospital won't let me go past 36 weeks.

      And my son is 3 years old too. What a wonderful age 3 is! I'm in awe of everything that comes out of my son's mouth--the silly, thoughtful, random--all of it. I'm hoping that, for both of us, having the logic and aptitude of a 3 year old nearby, will remind us to laugh and stay sane through the chaos of the upcoming survival period I've been reading so much about.

      Keep me posted! I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. ;)

      Delete